Tom Adams is a powerful new voice for South Carolina.
- Serving the citizens of Fort Mill on the town council since 2007.
- Graduate of Kent State University, 1981.
- Has lived in York County for 33 years.
- Over 30 years in the automotive business.
- Long-time member of First Baptist Church in Fort Mill.
- 3 children, all graduates of Fort Mill public schools, 3 grandchildren.
- Widowed in 2011 after nearly 30 years of marriage
Tom has lived a life devoted to faith, family, hard work, and community service. He has worked for over 30 years in the automotive industry, a source of many jobs in SC.
In 1981, Tom graduated from Kent State University, married his college sweetheart Susie, and moved to York County. Tom was married for nearly 30 years until his wife’s death from Scleroderma, an auto-immune disease, in 2011. His experience of caring for Susie for many months prior to her death left him with a deep understanding of the broken nature of our healthcare system, an appreciation for the brevity of life, and the importance of serving our community.
While never a professional politician, Tom has been very active in the Fort Mill community. He is a long time member of First Baptist Church in Fort Mill. He is currently in his second term on the Fort Mill Town Council. Recognizing the dysfunctional and unproductive state of our current congress, Tom Adams has a strong sense that we can do better. According to a Gallup poll, the congressional approval rating has dropped from 56% in 2001 to only 14% in 2013. Name calling, disrespect and obstructionism are the order of the day. Unfortunately, after 4 years on the job, Mick Mulvaney has proven that he is not part of the solution; he is part of the problem…a big part. A darling of the Tea Party, Mick Mulvaney does not properly represent the people of the district or even the Republicans of the district. He represents Tea Party interests alone, a party which was responsible for the sequester and government shutdown. The economic impact of the government shutdown took $24 Billion out of the US economy. (Business Insider). These self-inflicted wounds must stop.
Tom has three children and three grandchildren. He is the son of Mark and Betty Adams. His father, Mark, was a hard working businessman right up to the point of his death from cancer in 2007. His mother, devoted to her church, quilting and travel, still lives in Fort Mill. The fourth of 6 children, Tom is a natural coalition builder and familiar with the elements of compromise, essential to effective government. Compromise wrote the constitution, not ideology. Compromise makes government work.
Tom Adams presents us with an opportunity to elect a voice for compassion and bipartisan cooperation to move through this current mess in congress and get America working again.
As your Representative Tom Adams will:
- Protect Medicare and Social Security. These are not entitlements; we paid for them!
- Honor and protect our veterans by repairing and reforming the VA.
- Keep higher education affordable through reforming the student loan process.
- Make America’s government work again through compromise and coalition building.
- Bring integrity, honesty and common sense to Congress.
- Represent all the citizens of the 5th Congressional District.
- Be a voice for investment and job creation in the 5th District.
Tom will be about making America work again. It has worked before, it can work again; you can be a part of it.